First time intercourse – will it hurt for sure?
Posted by Ditza Katz in Painful Sex (Dyspareunia), Sexual Dysfunction, Vaginismus Blog, Women's Health 03 Aug 2014
First time sexual intercourse may be painful or uncomfortable because
- You are nervous and worried, which will make your vagina dry and tight;
- You may have an intact hymen (note: being a virgin does not guarantee the presence of a hymen!);
- You are engaging in ‘doing it’ despite feeling guilty, or doubting yourself, your motives, your religious principles, etc.
- You are worried about getting pregnant or about getting an infection;
- You did not have The Talk about sexually transmitted infections and he is not about to use a condom…
- You are being pressured or forced into it;
- Certain medical conditions such as vaginismus or Peyronie’s disease;
If none of the above applies to you, if the sexual encounter is welcomed, loving, positive, and respectful , and it you have lubrication on hand for just in case — it may go smoothly and without any adversity despite the circulating misconception that the ‘first time always hurts.’